Every 3rd American is sleeping less than 7 hours a day. It has been estimated that approximately 25% of Americans don’t get enough sleep to function correctly. There is a substantial cost of not being able to sleep peacefully at night. You might suffer from heart risks, mood disorders, and obesity. A sleep mask could be an easy solution to your problem of having an inadequate sleep. If you want to enjoy deep sleep, wearing a sleep mask could help you sleep better. Sleep masks are extraordinarily lightweight and portable. They are designed to be easily folded so that you can put them in your bag.
There are numerous types of sleep masks available. Make sure you choose the one that gives you maximum comfort. Our guide would help you select the best one for yourself.
What is a sleep mask?
A sleep mask is a sleeping aid which covers both your eyes to block out all the excessive rays of light. Even after turning all the lights of your room, you might not have an environment of total darkness. A sleep mask acts as a blindfold to give you a 100 percent blackout. They are made of silk, cotton, nylon, and other breathable materials.
How sleep mask helps you sleep better?
Sleep is vital for revitalizing the physiological processes which keep your mind and body healthy. During sleep, your body produces more cells, and the rate of cell division is improved significantly. Your brain utilizes from rest by flushing out the unwanted toxins from your body. For removing stress from your life, it is essential for you to have a sufficient amount of sleep every night. The Nation Sleep Foundation recommends sleep duration of 7 to 9 hours for a young adult. Lack of sleep could have a negation impact on your health. People who don’t sleep enough feel drowsy and tired all day long. They are unable to concentrate and perform essential activities.
Did you know? Sleep deprivation puts you at risk of having severe health problems. It affects your emotional state and mental abilities.
There are some sleep masks which are specifically designed to reduce pressure on your head and eyes. If you suffer from headaches frequently, wearing a sleep mask might give you relief and make you feel relaxed. It can alleviate discomfort from your head and nose area. It leaves a positive impact on your sleep pattern, and you can sleep peacefully.
Improved Melatonin level
Melatonin is an essential hormone which is produced in the darkness while you are in a deep sleep. Your level of melatonin is affected by light whether it is natural or artificial. It remains elevated in your blood for about 12 hours. With the return of the daylight, it drops down. A drop down in Melatonin level makes you feel sleepy and drowsy. Excessive use of blue light-emitting devices also slows down the production of melatonin in your body. Therefore, you should avoid using your cell phone, tablets, and laptops before going to bed. Use a sleep mask to block all the rays of light and sleep comfortably at night to improve your melatonin level.
Did you know? Studies show that there is a drastic difference between the two hormone levels (cortisol and melatonin) between people who slept with a sleep mask and those who slept without it.
If You have a problem with Sleeping, check out Insomnia Review.
Is there any negative impact of wearing a sleep mask?
There are exceptional benefits of a sleep mask. However, everything comes with some advantages and disadvantages. It would be wrong for us not to mention the negative impact of wearing a sleep mask. We don’t want to be negligent by not referring the drawbacks.
There are some sleep masks which might fit you too tightly. You are unable to adjust the straps you’re your comfort and convenience because they are too stiff or short. If the sleep mask you wear is too tight, it might put severe pressure on your eyes. There won’t be a room for you to blink which could cause uneasiness and discomfort.
Can I wash them in the machine?
Cleaning your sleep masks is crucial because they might get irritable to your eyes when they get dirty. It is a good option for you to wash it correctly on your machine to free your sleep mask from dirt particles. Sleep masks are usually made from silk which is easy for you to wash in the machine. However, there are certain fabrics which are too delicate. It is better for you to hand wash them.
Do sleep masks allow proper airflow?
Sleep masks are usually made from cotton and silk which have fantastic breathability abilities. They are designed to give you an improved circulation of airflow. You can prevent being sweaty and feeling uncomfortable.
Sleep masks come in different shapes. There are some masks which come with eyecups or eye cavities. They allow you to open your eyes quickly. Some masks come with removable foam padding. You can choose to take it off if you feel uncomfortable with it. The 3-D contoured shape of the sleep masks allows you to have enough room to blink your eyes freely. If you don’t want much pressure on your eyes, it is best for you to choose such sleep masks.
Sleep masks are made from different materials which have unusual features. It is essential for you to consider the type of material which you feel most comfortable in. If your skin is sensitive make sure that you choose the material carefully.
Silk is the material which is most commonly used in the construction of skin-friendly sleep masks. It is a soft and smooth material which effectively blocks the excess rays of light. Sleep masks which are made from 100% pure and genuine silk are softer on your eyes. They assist you in sleeping better at night and give you an excellent luxurious touch. However, silk is a material which tends to get dirty very quickly. Make sure that to keep it clean and wash it frequently.
Sleep masks which are made from cotton are perfect for those people who have sensitive skin. Cotton prevents you from allergies and irritations. They are very comfortable on your eyes and do their job well of blocking out the light.
This material is light-weight and long-lasting. Polyester sleep masks are easy-to-clean and maintain. They don’t lose their shape after repeated washing. They don’t put much pressure on your eyes.
Satin is combined with cotton or silk fabric to give you useful blockage results. They are usually padded to keep the rays of light out.
|Merits||· Skin friendly
· luxurious feel
· Hypoallergenic and anti-bacterial
· Blocks excess rays of light
|· Best for people who sleep with lights on and have sensitive skin
· Proper air ventilation to keep you from sweating.
· Super comfy and convenient.
· No irritations and pinching.
|· Light-weight material which does not put any pressure on your eye area.
· Polyester doesn’t wear off quickly. It can last for years to come.
· They don’t lose their shape after washing.
|Demerits||· Get dirty quickly
· It loses its shape after repeated washes.
· Not very long-lasting
|· Don’t block the rays of light completely||· Might irritate your skin.|
You may be interested in Guide to Finding the Best Earplugs for Sleeping.
Compare & Review – Top 5 Best Sleep Masks
|Sleep Mask||Best for||Material||Breathability||Care|
|Jersey Slumber Silk Sleep Mask||Budget||Silk||Yes||Machine washable|
|Alaska Bear Natural sleep mask||Hypoallergenic||Mulberry silk||Yes||Machine washable|
|YIVIEW sleep Mask||Eye contouring||Synthetic Nylon||No||Hand washable|
|Unimi Sleep Mask||Sensitive skin||Elastic polyester||Yes||Machine washable|
|Sleep Mask Blindfold||Travel||Velvet||No||Hand washable|
1. Jersey Slumber Silk – Best for budget
- Made from pure silk
- Adjustable slider strap
- Suitable for sensitive eyes
- Comfortable and convenient
- Breathable and Soothing
- Increased REM sleep.
Jersey Slumber Silk Mask is made to give you an ultimate sleeping experience. It is constructed from 100 percent pure silk which makes it super comfortable for you to wear it. If you have sensitive skin, this sleep mask is the right choice for you. The silk makes your eyes feel relaxed by giving you a smooth and soft touch. The sleep mask is not harsh to your skin. The top quality silk makes it breathable which keeps you from sweating.
- This sleep mask is light-weight which makes it extremely comfortable to wear it without putting much stress on your eyes.
- It fits you perfectly no matter what the size and shape of your head are.
- It completely blocks out the light to give you an uninterrupted sleep at night.
- You experience deep sleep because of the comfort the adjustable strap provides.
- It is easy-to-clean. You can wash it in your machine.
- You might find the strap a bit tight.
- It stains your pillow because of the excess dye.
2. Alaska Bear Natural Silk – Best Sleep Mask for hypoallergenic
- Lightweight and easy-to-carry
- Made from top-quality natural mulberry silk
- Easy-to-adjust headband
- Strong grip
The Alaska Bear Natural sleep mask comes with a thin structure. It is crafted to stay flat on your face which makes it comfortable for you to wear it without feeling any pressure on your eyes. It has a soft contour which makes it suitable for every head size.
It has been scientifically proven that intrusive night at light interrupts the natural level of hormone production of your body. The light rays also affect your brain waves. Sleep masks not only keep your hormones balances while you are sleeping at night but they also improve your sleeping pattern.
- It is made from top-quality silk which is natural and pure. The silk material is breathable and hypoallergenic.
- The sleep mask is comfortable for you to adjust because of the adjustable headband it comes with.
- Alaska Bear Natural sleep mask gives you a complete blackout. You’ll sleep comfortably at night.
- The straps are padded and easily adjustable which makes this sleep mask an excellent choice for side sleepers.
- The sleep mask does not come with eye cups which might make it uncomfortable for you to wear it.
- Some light rays sneak in through the nose area.
3. YIVIEW Sleep Mask – Best for eye contouring
- Pack of 3 at a fantastic price.
- Light-weight and comfortable to wear.
- 3D contoured design.
- Soft and skin-friendly.
- Machine washable.
- Soft synthetic nylon.
YIVIEW sleep Mask comes with a 3D contoured design which makes it easy for you to blink freely. There is plenty of room for your eye movement. It does not even touch your eyelids.
Furthermore, this sleep mask is exceptionally flexible. The elastic strap would not get stuck in your hair. You can quickly tighten the mask up for a good fit.
Good rest at night is imperative for your health and well-being. If you suffer from lack of sleep, you might want to consider buying a sleep mask for yourself. YIVIEW sleep mask is the perfect choice for you if you’re going to overcome your sleep problems.
- Helps you drift off to sleep quickly by blocking the rays of light.
- The nylon fabric is smooth and breathable. It does not put pressure on your skin. You won’t feel an ounce of discomfort.
- It is long-lasting and durable.
- There is enough room for you to blink your eyes.
- You might find the straps a bit tighter.
4. Unimi – Best for sensitive skin
- Velcro elastic straps.
- High value for money
- Breathable and light-weight.
- Skin-friendly. It is a pinch-free sleep mask.
- Two layered sleep mask.
- Comfortable elastic polyester.
- Low rebound memory foam
This sleep mask is consists of two layers which add to your comfort. The elastic polyester layer makes it stretchable and easy-to-adjust. The low rebound memory foam gives it good padding which provides you with a complete blackout.
Furthermore, the sleep mask is breathable and light-weight. It would keep the sweat away from your eyes. You won’t feel any discomfort or irritation while trying to sleep at night.
Unimi Sleep Mask is the right choice for you if you are looking for an affordable sleep mask. It blocks the light completely which makes it easier for you to fall asleep.
- Creates total darkness for you and gives you an uninterrupted sleep at night.
- The unique 3D countered design is comfortable for your eyes.
- The two layers of stretchy polyester and low rebound memory foam ensure that you get an optimal comfort from this sleep mask.
- Moreover, the head strap of the sleep mask gives you a comfortable fit.
- Might lose its shape if used every day.
- Its straps are very short for people with broader head size.
5. Sleep Mask Blindfold Eye Shades – Best for travel
- Soft velvet material
- Suitable for men and women
- Comes with earplugs
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Blocks the light out effectively
- Thick and stiff Velcro straps.
- Nylon encased foam.
This sleep mask is made from soft velvet material which blocks the rays of light completely. Whether you suffer from sleep apnea or insomnia, this is the right choice for you to improve the quality of your sleep.
The Velcro strap ensures that it fits you well. It does not press against your eyes and make you uncomfortable.
Sleep Mask Blindfold eye shades are a product of tight sleep G7. It comes with a highly innovative design which gives you a total blackout while you are trying to sleep at night.
- This sleep mask settles lightly on your nose without putting much pressure.
- It completely blocks the light and drifts you away to sleep
- You wake up in the morning feeling more alert and relaxed
- Beneficial for people suffering from insomnia, headaches, and migraines.
- The sleep mask is not breathable.
- You might find the Velcro strap a bit uncomfortable.
We have presented you top 5 sleep mask with a simple yet economical solution to sleep better. They are very handy for you to take them along with you if you are a frequent traveler. You can also use them on a daily basis to prevent excess light rays while trying to sleep in a shared room with lights on. So what’s the wait for? Buy a sleep mask for you to have a peaceful sleep at night.