Through rapid mechanization and industrialism, people have forgotten what it feels like to sleep on an all-natural bed. We’re talking about mattresses made of 100% natural products like latex and plant-based memory foam. Recently people have started to revert to their natural choices, and we think mattresses need that kind of upgrade too.
But what exactly is the best and safest organic mattress out there? Is there any brand that stands out? Maybe not one, but we’ve got top 5 best natural organic mattresses that have made an impact on our shopping preferences.
|Zenhaven||Luxury Mattress||Natural Latex Rubber||Cotton + Wool||7.0 – 8.0
4.0 – 5.0
|AmeriSleep AS3||Value for money||Plant-based Memory Foam||Celliant; 13 thermo reactive minerals||5.0 – 5.5|
|Avocado Green||Overall Comfort||Natural Latex Rubber||Cotton + Wool||7.0 & 6.0|
|Loom & Leaf||Plant-based Memory Foam||Plant-based Memory Foam||Quilted Cotton||6.5 – 8.0|
|Nest Bedding Alexander||Hybrid latex||Dunlop Latex||Quilted Cotton||4.0 – 5.0
6.0 – 7.0
See for yourself!
What is the meaning of an “organic” mattress?
By definition, an organic or natural mattress is a type of bedding which is made from at least 70% purely natural material. It also means that the material is harvested in a controlled environment, is free from toxic or surplus chemical additives, has not been dyed, and does not undergo heavy altering during the manufacturing process. The exact percentage of purity varies, but most agencies, including GOTS, agrees that even 70% purity is sufficient.
Benefits of Owning an Organic Mattress
Many people don’t think that going all-natural regarding bedding can be beneficial. However, synthetic products come with a cost, and sometimes the currency is human health.
It is no doubt that organic mattresses are biodegradable and won’t take long to dissolve when thrown out. It makes for a healthier and lesser polluted land.
You see, most of the material used in organic mattresses is meant to degrade over time, which makes it easy to be absorbed by the soil, leaving almost zero traces of any harmful chemical. It does reduce the durability of the product, but rest assured your mattress won’t be the end of the world.
Safer To Use
With newer mattresses being sprayed with antibiotics and flame retardants, you start to question whether these chemicals are safe for use or not. But with natural mattresses like those made of latex, the question is just out of bounds. It is a fact that flame retardants and certain heavy metals are deadly or poisonous, and can lead to severe trauma and headaches. Organic mattresses are free from all the additives, and most are CertiPUR-US certified. With synthetic mattresses, you need to check if they’re safe or not. But with organic mattresses, you can be entirely sure straight away.
Foam mattresses, especially memory foam, usually release Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) often in the form of gasses. These gasses not only have a very pungent smell (which can cause headaches and allergies), but they can also be poisonous in heavy doses.
Most mattresses nowadays claim to have “less than 0.5 ppm” VOC emissions, but most are highly questionable. With organic mattresses, however, you can be assured that your air will be safe to breathe. No need to stress over getting rid of the foul odor or letting your pets in. Organic mattresses have zero off-gassing and are safe for all
Naturally Flame Retardant
Most new mattresses and toppers are sprayed with fire-resistant chemical materials which are there to prevent fires from breaking out. However, in doing so, they expose you to many harmful chemicals which may be more deadly than the fire itself.
The FDA has banned most common types of retardants, and even Oeko-Tex and CertiPUR-US check for these in their tests. Natural latex organic mattresses are naturally fire resistant, which means that you get the benefit of being fire-safe, while also having clean air to breathe.
Understanding Various Certifications
Being CertiPUR-US certified is nothing new these days, but sometimes it’s enough to know that the mattress at least has essential safety features. CertiPUR-US tests every mattress for:
- Ozone depleters.
- PBDEs, TCCP or TCEP fire retardants.
- Mercury, lead, bismuth, and other heavy metals.
- Formaldehyde and Phthalates banned by the CPSC.
- Low off-gassing (less than 0.5 parts per million).
Oeko-Tex is another independent organization which stands close to CertiPUR-US. An Oeko Tex Standard 100 Certificate means that the mattress you use is:
- Made without Azo-colorants, formaldehyde, pentachlorophenol, cadmium, nickel, mercury, bismuth, heavy metals, and the like.
- It meets standards and requirements of the Annexes XIV and XVII of European Chemical Regulations, the ECHA SVHC Candidate List, and the US Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act’s provisions for lead.
- Has low VOC emission for better air quality.
GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard)
The GOTS organization is an independent entity solely dedicated to ensuring that the product is mostly organic. It redefines the definition of organic and natural. A mattress can say it is organic, but without the GOTS certification, there’s no way to prove it. GOTs take into account:
- The accreditation of the natural products (whether they qualify as organic or not).
- The amount and toxicity of chemical additives added during the processing. They must meet requirements and be biodegraded.
- Critical inputs (no heavy metals, formaldehyde, nanoparticles, genetically modified organism or their enzymes are allowed).
- No PVC, nickel or chrome or Azo dyes are allowed.
Eco-Institut is mostly based in Germany and provides all kinds of testing, including pollution, toxicity, industry quality, and even approves well and building materials. Their criteria are several, but most are focused on:
- Banning the use of pollutants in industrial processes and finished
- Managing indoor air quality and reducing harmful gas emissions.
- Making sure that the material used in any process is natural and completely
GreenGuard Gold, along with Eco-Institut, is a lesser-known certification. It mainly focuses on approving products with little to no VOC emission. It ensures better indoor air quality and better health. Surely, a mattress which is GreenGuard Gold certified is entirely safe.
Others (GOLS, Cradle To Cradle, USDA Organic)
Other lesser is known, and minor authentic certification and testing facilities are GOLS, Cradle to Cradle, USDA Organic, and the FTC.
How to Choose an Organic Mattress
enefits of Owning an Organic Mattress
Choosing an excellent organic mattress can be tough too. We may have said that all organic mattresses are safe to use, and they are. But even among the best mattresses, there can be a clash. For one thing, not all mattresses have the same warranties, policies, durability, strength, comfort level, firmness, and some organic mattresses may even excel others regarding safety.
Organic mattresses are environmentally friendly in the sense that they are biodegradable, but this can be a huge issue when it comes to lending some longevity to the products. For the most part, an excellent organic mattress will last you long. As a general fact, latex mattresses last the longest, with an incredible 8 to 12-year lifespan. 100% natural and pure latex mattresses can last as much as 12 years. It certainly does not affect the biodegradability of the product. And in turn, you get a mattress that will stay with you for a very long time.
The firmness rating which is optimal for a lot of users seems to be 6.5, which is also known as Medium Firm. However, the firmness depends on your requirements, type of sleeping position, and pains and discomforts. Usually, a softer mattress is best for those who love to sleep on their side, and for those who have a lot of back and neck pains.
Harder mattresses work best for those who have no pain and love sleeping on their back and stomach. Although, you should keep in mind that most of the brands are better for back sleepers and rarely good for stomach sleepers. Organic mattress firmness work just like synthetic ones, and they can be found in a wide range of firmness, usually 4.5 to 7.5.
Natural latex and other organic mattresses don’t require many layers. Most are comfortable as they are. Generally, a lesser number of layers mean more inferior support, and this is good if you want to sink into the bed. But if you love to support, we recommend buying one which has multiple layers, optimally a minimum of 3. The base layer should be firm and sturdy and able to support the bed.
The sheets on the top should be your chosen firmness. Edge support is also a great option, though that usually comes with coiled mattresses. A latex-foam hybrid or a latex-coil hybrid (such as the Nest Bedding or Idle Sleep) is excellent choices too, and they are mostly organic.
A good amount for certifications means a more authentic and credible bed. Generally, a simple CertiPUR-US or Oeko-Tex accreditation should do, but customers can opt for a GOTS or GOLS certification too to ensure the organic and natural nature of the product. Most mattresses have a standard CertiPUR-US certificate.
Why are organic or eco-friendly mattresses so popular among people?
The reason for this is that these mattresses are environmentally healthy, and do not pollute or corrupt the land. They also have a longer lifespan (up to 12 years) and are more comfortable for some. There are almost zero toxic additives, and the off-gassing is non-existent.
Why are these mattresses so costly?
Of course, with high quality come even higher prices. Organic mattresses are made from an actual harvested material, usually latex. It means that the raw material requires a lot of human resources, time, and water to grow. Furthermore, getting certified by numerous organizations can cost a lot. It increases the price to almost twice than what you’re used to in memory foam beds.
Is there any difference between an organic and eco-friendly mattress?
Certainly not! Organic mattresses are eco-friendly in many ways. Firstly, they are biodegradable and do not pollute the land. Secondly, they do not off-gas, which can usually leave the air partly poisonous and sometimes hazardous. Thirdly, they do not affect the health or breathing ability of the people who sleep on them. All of these features give you the best and safest organic experience!
Are organic mattresses safe for kids and pets?
Yes. Most memory foams tend to off-gas, which can be fatal or poisonous for infants and pets. And if there are harmful chemicals and flame retardants involved, the bedroom can be a death sentence for children and animals. Natural latex and organic mattresses keep everything safe and healthy for everyone to breathe, human and animal alike.
Compare & Review – Top 5 Best Natural Organic Mattresses
1. The Zenhaven Mattress – Best Luxury Mattress
- Top cotton cover with natural wool underneath.
- Four plush and supportive layers of natural latex foam.
- Naturally hypoallergenic and antimicrobial.
- No off-gassing.
- 120-day home trial.
- 20-year warranty.
- Naturally fire resistant.
The Zenhaven uses a total of four layers. On the top is a soft firm comfort layer, followed by a firm base layer, a plush base layer, and finally a luxury plush comfort layer. It means that the top of the mattress feels firm, but if you want you can flip it over for a softer experience.
The Zenhaven makes it to the very top of our list for no reason other than its flappable functional design and latex structure. This bed uses a woolen fire barrier, four layers of natural latex foam, and a heartfelt non-prorated 20-year warranty.
- Completely natural and organic.
- Free from harmful chemicals; Oeko-Tex certified and a member of the SFC.
- Naturally fire resistant.
- Flipping over gives a whole new experience.
- Cool and durable.
- A 20-year warranty is non-prorated, which means that it is free for two whole decades.
- The comfort layer has five different zones of density.
- Delivery agents may be unprofessional.
- Not suitable for stomach
2. The AmeriSleep AS3 – Best Value Mattress
- Celliant cover made with 13 thermo reactive minerals for better cooling.
- Three layers of high-quality open-cell memory foam.
- Firmness rating: medium (5-5.5).
- Excellent at body contouring and relieving your pressure points.
- Cool and breathable.
- Eco-friendly; plant-based formula, meets the Clean Air Act’s Standards, zero pollutant emissions.
- 100-night trial with full refunds.
- 20-year warranty; the first half is free.
The AmeriSleep AS3 uses three chief comfort and support layers made of open cell memory foam. The top layer is a cool Bio-Pur memory foam layer that keeps you cool while sleeping, backed by body contouring layer that adapts to your body curves, and a Bio-Core support layer that won’t sag or sink.
The AS3 is a particular eco-friendly memory foam mattress with a medium firmness. We include this one because, it is eco-friendly and indeed an excellent memory foam choice.
- Perfect choice for side sleepers and for those who keep tossing and turning.
- Extremely cool and ventilated.
- Optimal firmness for those with back pain.
- Uses open-cell memory foam, which is breathable and lightweight.
- Meets Clean Air Act’s standards.
- Prorated warranty (paid) after ten years.
- Is not organic, but has been processed from plant material.
3. Avocado Green Mattress – Best Overall Comfort Mattress
- Made of 100% natural and organic latex rubber, wool, and cotton.
- Support coils that create balance and bounce.
- Certified by GreenGuard and GOTS.
- Firmness Rating: Gentle firm.
- Two layers of natural latex.
- Zero carbon emissions during the manufacturing process.
- No flame retardants.
- 100-night trial.
- 25 years limited warranty (first ten years free).
The Avocado is a latex hybrid which uses both natural latex rubber as well as a support coil layer. This layer is made of robust and resilient 1,414 fabric-encased steel innersprings steel arranged in 3 starategic zones to allow breathability, body support and spine alignment. On a scale of 10 the mattress gives 7.0 rating that is gentle yet firm feel. Do you love plush feel? You can choose our pillow top edition that gives just the right amount of plush with 6.0 firmness.
How could we not include the Avocado Green? This mattress is made from natural latex rubber, which makes it non-toxic and environment-friendly. Even the wool and the cotton is 100% organic. They sell pillow-tops as well as standard beds, backed by a 25-year warranty!
- Six decent and durable layers.
- Non-prorated warranty for the first ten years.
- Naturally fire resistant; no added retardants.
- GOTS and GreenGuard Gold certified.
- 11 inches high.
- Warranty is limited (paid after the first ten years).
- Not suitable for stomach sleepers.
4. Loom & Leaf Mattress – Best Plant-Based Memory Foam
- Quilted natural cotton cover.
- Spinal Gel layer which keeps the body fresh and aerated.
- Three layers of plant-based memory foam; density: 5 lbs.
- Best with an adjustable base.
- No VOC emissions (off-gassing).
- 120-night free trial with full refunds.
- Firmnesses: 6.5 and 8.
- Fully non-prorated warranty of 15 years.
The natural quilted cover allow smooth airflow that keeps the mattress cool and breathable. Usually, most brands use gel-infused memory foam, but in the case of Loom and Leaf, the entire first layer is made of gel. This gel is exceptional at keeping the body fresh. It wicks away temperature from the temperature, leaving your nights hassle-free.
Just like the AmeriSleep AS3, Loom and Leaf also use plant-based memory foam. It does mean that it is natural, but chemical additives are required for viscoelasticity. Still, we feel that the 5-pounds foam density and 120-night trial will overwhelm you.
- Memory foam is made from plant material; more organic than others.
- Warranty is entirely non-prorated (free).
- Does not release gasses; ideal for indoor air quality.
- Medium firm and firm options available.
- Keeps the body extraordinarily cool and ventilated.
- Memory foam is not 100% organic.
5. Nest Bedding Alexander Mattress – Best Hybrid Latex Mattress
- Made of 4 layers of latex that provides comfort and firmness.
- 0% APR financing.
- A lifetime warranty to keep your purchase secure.
- Quilted stretchable cover.
- CertiPUR-US certified.
- Firmness: 4.5 to 5.0 and 7.0 – 8.0 (luxury firm or medium firm).
- Free shipping all over the USA (except Hawaii and Alaska).
The quilted stretchable cotton knit cover gives the mattress breathability. The 7” Pocketed coils and 0.75” 50ILD latex foam serves as a support Base Foam and brings durability to the mattress life. The 3” Dunlop latex layer contours the body and relieves pressure.
Nest Bedding uses both natural memory foam as well as spring coils to provide unconditional support and sustenance. This hybrid mattress excels others due to its use of 0% APR financing and the lifetime warranty. With four layers of Dunlop latex and a luxury cotton cover, Nest Bedding outshines the rest.
- Organic cotton cover GOTS cert.
- Pefect bounce
- Sleeps cool
- Great edge support.
- Free from formaldehyde and all sorts of heavy metals.
- Eco-friendly but not 100% organic.
- May have off-gassing.
Where would we be without organic mattresses? In a world where industrialization has taken everyone by storm, it’s heartwarming to know that some people haven’t forgotten the real beauty of just enjoying the natural things.
We don’t have a personal favorite. Consider all five mattresses to be at the top of the chain. We hope you found our top 5 list very useful, and we hope that you now know more about organic mattresses than you did before. But even if you don’t, there is not to worry because still tons to learn about the world and you’re just getting started.
|Zenhaven||Luxury Mattress||120-nights||20 – year non-prorated||Oeko-Tex, SFC|
|AmeriSleep AS3||Value for money||100-nights||20 – year prorated||Clean Air Act|
|Avocado Green||Overall Comfort||100-nights||25 – years prorated||GreenGuard Gold, GOTS, 1% For The Planet|
|Loom & Leaf||Plant-based Memory Foam||120-nights||15 years non-prorated||CertiPUR-US|
|Nest Bedding Alexander||Hybrid latex||100-nights||Lifetime||CertiPUR-US, GOLS, GOTS, Oeko-Tex|