Do you know: 16% of the sleepers enjoy sleeping on their stomach, Are you one of them?
Everybody has their special sleeping position and regardless of how it affects our body, we tend to carry on to it because it gives us the mental satisfaction of our comfort zone. Stomach sleepers are such an example of a position which may not always be recommended. But it is hard to alter the comforting position.
We dedicated this write up to stomach sleepers and everything they need to know about their sleeping position. You will also find the best mattresses for stomach sleepers and what they have to offer you. Our buying guide is also there to act as a walkthrough to buying the one that is most suitable to your preferences.
What you need to know about sleeping on your stomach
- Shoulder, lower back, and hip pain: Our body is at a delicate balance of gravity. When we sleep on our stomach, the gravitational force is pulled at its usual and the strain can be caused on the midsection which is highly unusual for the body. This may grow to cause more pain than usual and even cause joint problems. Scott Duke, Chiropractic sports physician mentions how lower back pain can be because of stomach sleeping which he claimed can be the worst.
- Neck strain: An Article that was medically given thumbs up by Suzanne Falck, MD suggests that sleeping on the stomach starts affecting the spine. The alignment of the head and the spine is disturbed which puts a lot of strain on the neck and hence chronic neck problems can be developed over time.
- Pregnancy problems: Ob-Gynecologist Cornelia Graves mentions that it is alright to sleep as per comfort during pregnancy. Even though the position is not recommended, a donut-shaped pillow can prove to be a safe way to enjoy stomach sleeping during pregnancy.
- Tossing and turning: If you are used to sleeping on your stomach then you may find yourself tossing and turning in the long run. The effects of it on your back and neck will make it difficult for your body to adjust to a better position.
What happens to stomach sleepers in different situations
|Situation||The result of stomach sleeping||Recommendation|
|Pregnancy||There may not be many problems during the early months of pregnancy but later on, you might be a little uncomfortable.||Not Recommended|
|Anxiety||Anxiety, your body needs to curl up itself to show its support. Most people will find sleeping on their stomach less sickening to their digestive system. The act of cuddling also distresses which can be useful in this case||Recommended|
|Overweight people||The weight of the body of heavy people will go with gravity and the weight will be on the internal organs. This can cause further problems||Not Recommended|
To whom stomach sleeping is recommended? Is it good to sleep on your stomach?
Stomach sleeping is one of the worst positions to sleep in. The only advantage is that it stops most people from snoring and can be helpful during sleep apnea. The Honor Society of Nursing recommends sleeping on the stomach to people that have sleep apnea.
Sleeping on the stomach can reduce snoring in this case and help the airway stay clear which helps in quality sleep. Some doctors go as far as to recommend sleep apnea patients do not lie on their backs since it can be dangerous.
What can health benefits of acidity you extract from stomach sleeping?
Chronic acidity has many different levels. It can go as far as to bring the fluids up your esophagus and go to your lungs or choke you while you are sleeping. Pat F. Bass III, MD, and MPH claim that people with sleep apnea can have a higher risk of chronic acidity. These people should not be sleeping on their back and their right side.
Most doctors recommend sleeping on the left side to ensure that the digestive system is smoother while in this case sleeping on the back can reduce the acid reflux to choke the sleeping person.
Take weight into consideration
One of the most important factors of sleeping in any position is the weight that your body holds. Your body weight affects the pressure points and hence makes a huge difference in the posture and quality of sleep. The following is the weight and the suitable sleeping surface.
Less than 130 pounds
People that are less than 130 pounds have a lot more pressure points affiliated with the bone. A soft surface for them will provide better pressure relief.
130 to 230 pound
The people with average weight can easily accommodate themselves with a neutral firm surface. The sinking in the surface, in this case, is less and the spine alignment is on point.
More than 230 pounds
Heavy people need a firm surface. Their pressure points are mostly in the flesh that is why they can sink in soft or medium surfaces. A firm surface will give them more room for spine alignment
What type of pillow should a stomach sleeper consider?
Sleeping on the stomach is not a good position but for people that have a hard time getting rid of it, it is better to go for a suitable mattress and pillow. The pillow should be able to keep your head and back into an alignment which is why the height and fluff should be accordingly. This should ideally be a flat pillow.
It is recommended that stomach sleepers keep a pillow under their belly as well. Experts recommend putting a pillow under your pelvis so that the pressure is reduced on the spine. This pillow should be soft and supportive.
Downsides of sleeping hot as a tummy sleeper
Sleeping hot is not recommended at all. However, it can be very dangerous to people sleeping on their stomach. The essential organs of the body are already pressed up against the surface which may be suffocating to the body. If added the mattress is hot and stuffy, the sleeper can acquire respiratory problems. Sleepers can also be suffocated and it can be highly hazardous to sleep hot for stomach sleepers.
Pressure point support and spinal alignment
Physiotherapist Vivian Eisenstaedt warns that sleeping on the stomach can be the quickest way to achieve back problems. Hence the right mattress is a necessity.
Our body holds a huge amount of pressure in the pelvic area. When we sleep on the stomach, this pressure increases which is why we require more support. In this case, a mattress that contours body shape and then targets the pressure points will give off good vibes to your pelvis.
The spinal alignment is required to make a good body posture. The best way to acquire this as a stomach sleeper is to make sure that you do not go for something very soft.
Best ILD for stomach sleepers
The Indentation load deflecting system is to check how much weight can cause the mattress to dent. Since each manufacturer has a different idea of the firmness level, you will have to check the ILD. For stomach sleepers, it is not recommended that the mattress sink too much since that will cause the spinal alignment to be unnatural. Mattresses with a higher ILD can help achieve much better results.
Ideal material for stomach sleepers
Memory foam is one of the most common and effective mattresses. It contours the body shape easily without denting the mattress. Memory foam is eventually suited for most of the sleeping positions including on your stomach. While memory foam can be great, it can be a little soft for stomach sleepers.
Latex is natural memory foam. They are more breathable, hypoallergenic, and comfortable. These mattresses greatly contribute to spinal alignment by also contouring the body shape. However, these can also be very soft for stomach sleepers.
Innerspring mattresses are made with several coils that work individually. They do not sag over time and their firmness is also commendable for stomach sleepers.
Hybrid mattresses combine the benefits of memory foam and innerspring to ensure that where one of them lack, the other takes over. These mattresses provide the right firmness, support, and relief of pressure points. They are a little expensive but ultimately the best for stomach sleepers.
Level of firmness for stomach sleepers
The level of firmness of the stomach sleeper depends mostly on their weight. Underweight people should prefer something soft but not too plushy, average weighted people can go for medium-firm, while heavy people can opt for firm mattresses. The idea remains the same in all three instances; the mattress should be towards the firm end.
You may be interested in How to Choose a Mattress Fit for You?
Compare & Review – Best Mattress For Stomach Sleepers
|Product Name||Best for||Softness levels||Warranty (Years)||Trial Period (Nights)||Main foam (s)|
|The Winkbed||Innerspring lovers||Various Levels||10 yrs. limited||101||Pocketed spring|
|Loom and Leaf by Saatva||Memory foam lovers||Relaxed firm and Firm||15 yrs.||120||Designer foam|
|Zenhaven mattress||Latex lovers||Two levels||20 yrs.||120||Natural Latex|
|Sapira mattress||Hybrid lovers||One level||10 yrs. limited||100||Memory/Avena/Spring|
|Purple Mattress||Pressure relief||One level||Cover 2 yrs.
Mattress 10 yrs.
|100||Spring/Purple smart comfort grid|
|Helix Mattress||Back pain relief||Soft level||10 yrs. limited||100||Customizable|
|Tuft and Needle mattress||Budget||One level||10 yrs. limited||100||A mix of memory foam and latex|
1. The Winkbed – Best for Innerspring lovers
- Spring contouring mattress
- Tencel cover
- More durable
- Various firmness levels
- Designer foam layers
This mattress is suited for all the heavy sleepers. It is a durable design that does not sag and change its shape over time. The mattress is also perfect for partners of different weights and sleeping habits as it can control motion transfer.
Tencel Cover on the mattress absorb and wick away moisture to prevent the mattress from growing mold and other allergens. It is made safe for the environment and has a soft and comfortable feel.
- Has a soft and comfortable Tencel cover
- Pocketed coils provide contoured support
- Motion isolation with coils
- Well ventilated and the ability to wick away the moisture
- Variable firmness levels
- Does not have a sleep cool feature
- It is not hypoallergenic
2. Loom and Leaf – Best for Memory foam lovers
- Quilted cover
- Cooling gel infused
- No off-gassing
- Dual layer of support
This mattress is perfect for people who want to sleep on their stomach due to the spinal gel feature that allows the back to be supported and aligned regardless of the position of the sleeper.
It has a quilted cover that is ventilated, flame retardant, and made with pure cotton to keep it as hypoallergenic as possible.
- The mattresses are highly breathable with the cover and the dual layer of foam
- The dual layer of foam can be selected in two layers of firmness
- The spinal cooling gel allows support and cooling factor
- The mattress is eco-friendly and does not off gas
- The mattress does not have motion control
- It does not have a foam that provides contoured support
3. Zenhaven mattress – Best for Latex lovers
- The top layer is an organic wool layer
- Main foam is natural latex foam
- 5 zone comfort design
- Cotton cover
One reason why this mattress is highly recommended for tummy sleeper is that of its ability to target each part of the body separately. Once the latex gets the contoured body shape, it activates the 5 zone layers support and allows a better spine alignment and circulation.
Talalay support layers in this mattress provide support layers to target the body in different positions. This feature allows all kinds of sleepers to have a better posture while sleeping and their pressure points to be constantly targeted into comfort.
- Talalay layers provide separate comfort
- Natural latex foam is used to ensure that the mattress is comfortable, hypoallergenic, and breathable
- Organic wool layer allows the moisture to be wicked away
- The cotton cover makes the layer more soft and comfortable
- The mattress does not have a separate sleeping cool layer
- The mattress does not isolate motion
4. Sapira Mattress – Best for Hybrid lovers
- Avena Foam layer
- Memory foam layer
- Supportive spring layer
- Breathable layers
- Edge to edge support
This mattress is highly suited for people that want to sleep cool and enjoy the bouncy response of a hybrid mattress.
Supportive spring layers are a sandwich between 1 inch stabilizing foam. This layer allows the mattress to reduce sagging and increases durability. It has space for ventilation and allows for better breathability. The layer also allows motion isolation for partners.
- Memory foam layer provides personalized body support
- The mattress provides pressure-relieving through the memory foam layer and the bounce back springs
- Avena foam layer allows ventilation and free movement with its bounce
- Spring layers allow motion isolation for a couple of different sleeping positions
- The mattress is not hypoallergenic and is prone to bugs
- The mattress does not have sleeping cool features
5. Purple mattress – Best for Pressure Relief
- Plexus side panels base layer
- Specialized comfort foam approved by Certi-Pur
- Pocketed spring as main foam
- Highly comfortable comfort stretch cover
- Special purple smart comfort grid
- Sleep cool
- Motion isolation
- Nontoxic/ no off-gassing
People that need extra support to their bones like arthritis patients will find this mattress to be most comforting. The mattress provides a special layer that helps in targeting pressure points for pressure relief.
Pocketed spring has the feature of ensuring that contoured body shape is acquired. However, for a more accurate shape, the purple comfort grid works with the pocketed spring. Together they provide support and even motion isolation.
- Motion isolation through a mixture of pocketed spring and the purple comfort grid
- The purple smart-comfort grid provides a layer to target pressure points and keep the mattress cool
- The top comfort stretch cover is softer and breathable for a better feel
- Base layer increases durability and reduces stuffiness
- No layer to fight body heat when accumulated
- There are no options for firmness levels
6. Helix Mattress – Best for Back pain relief
- Helix dynamic foam layer
- Pocketed micro-coils layer
- High-grade polyfoam layer
- Cool sleeping foam
- Additional cooling layers for two bodies
There are plenty of mattresses in the market designed for couples but none like this. How convenient is this mattress where you can personalize it entirely with a few of the best types of foams and layers? This mattress is suitable for people that prefer to find their layers of comfort.
Pocketed micro coils are a more advanced version of pocketed springs. These are micro springs that work better in terms of pressure relief and make sure to target even the tiniest muscle in your body. They also help in reducing airflow and increase motion isolation for better sleep.
- Three different layer options can all be blended together to form one mattress
- The mattress can be super cool with the helix foam layer which is made for two bodies and their heats
- Dual side mattress option allows couples to have their independent sleeping support while sleeping together
- Various densities can be set with high quality according to different body types
- The mattress does not have an ergonomically made cover
- The mattress does not have an option of the firmness level
7. Tuft and Needle Mattress – Best for Budget
- highly supportive base layer
- Pressure relief layer
- Cool sleeping factors
- Adaptive foam layer
This mattress is highly suitable for people that want a simple mattress. With only two layers it has no complications and available at an affordable price.
There is a graphite infusion that wicks off the heat entirely and provides a cool and well-ventilated layer in the mattress to ensure a cool and ventilated mattress.
- Graphite infusion makes the mattress cool and breathable
- Adaptive layer takes the body shape and provides relief in the pressure points according to that
- The support layer is seven inches of the reliable base layer that the mattress relies on
- The mattress has a mixture of the goodness of memory foam and latex foam
- The firmness of the mattress cannot be selected
- The mattress takes a long time to come to its shape because of the compressed packing
Find out more about Top 10 Rated Mattress Brands in 2019.
The better sleep council suggests that sleeping on your stomach in a free-fall position can be extremely hazardous to your lower back. However, with the right mattress, you can still sleep on your stomach in a safer way. With the right mattress, you need the best sleeping pillow and the right way to ensure that you do not cause much harm to your body. You will now have few of the best choices in the market that are suitable for stomach sleepers and can choose from them.