Suffering from back pain for years? Took lots of medicine but still no improve? The actual problem is in your mattress. Yes, A bad mattress can be the reason for your worst back pain. Read our ultimate buying guide to choose the best mattress for back pain.
We all know that sleep is not just important for our body but also nourishes our brain. According to some experts, for an average adult, there is a requirement of 7-9 hours of sleep. If not taken enough sleep then it can hurt your health. Your mattress contributes to the lower back pain and affects muscles. According to the survey, about 80% of the population experience backache in their lives.
As per a study related to sleep quality, the use of a new mattress can significantly improve the chronic back pain. So, before you plan to buy any mattress keeps in view the components like its firmness, durability, material and of course the price.
In this write-up, we also present you the best mattresses for back pain so that you can decide one wisely.
How Does Back Pain Affect Sleep?
The major part of our back is our spine. This integral part is responsible for three different yet important functioning of our bodies. These major roles are:
- One of its important functions is to provide the right posture to the upper part of our body. It keeps our posture straight by keeping our back in the right position.
- It also gives protection to the spinal cord. This cord is the fundamental of a communication system that takes place in a human body. It takes and brings information from and towards our brain.
- It assists in our tactile movement as well.
Now, if the person’s spine is unhealthy, it would not be able to perform any of the above-mentioned functions. Poor sleeping postures result in back pain.
Back pain generally falls into two categories
We normally use word back pain for any type of main occurring in our back areas. It can either be a minor twinge or a devastating condition that ends cause the inability of other organs as well. Back pains are usually classified into two forms, one is acute and the other one is chronic back pain.
Acute back pain
It is a form of pain that stays for a period of fewer than 12 weeks. It is usually a result of an accident, improper action, or any other injury. You can easily cure this pain by resolving its actual cause.
Chronic back pain
On the other hand, chronic pain is the one that stays with you for the time of more than 12 weeks. It can also start as a result of some injury or another calamity. There can be serious causes of this pain like psychological problems scoliosis. The major problem with chronic pain is, it doesn’t disappear easily.
Find out more about Lower pain in our complete review here.
Common causes of acute and or chronic back pain
Muscle or ligament strain
If you carry any weighty object or move inappropriately, it will put a strain on your back muscles or spinal ligaments. It would then end up in back pain. The situation can be worsened if your physical health is not too good.
Bulging or ruptured discs
In our spinal region, there is intervertebral disc. These are positioned between vertebrae that are kind of basic calls of the spinal column. These discs create fibrocartilaginous joints. It then provides support and cushioning effects to help in absorbing shocks.
They are sturdy and bulky from the outside, and the inner filling contains a jelly-like filling structure. If these discs get rupture or buying, then they create twinge feel in contact with nerves.
Arthritis refers to the inflammation of a minimum one joint of the body. It results in pain and stiffness of joints. There are different forms of arthritis. These are:
- Osteoarthritis also is known as degenerative arthritis. It weakens and degenerates bone cartilage prematurely.
- Rheumatoid arthritis influences synovium material
- Gout is inflammation of joints located at ankles, knees, or feet.
- Psoriatic arthritis occurs because of sore skin.
- Skeletal irregularities:
Skeletal irregularities are an abnormality of the spine or back that causes pain. There are different types of these irregularities including lordosis, scoliosis, and kyphosis.
You may be interested in The 3 Best Firm Mattresses for Spinal Stenosis.
And if you still want to learn more, go to our full review here.
Risk factors for acute or chronic back pain
Medical specialists have defined the following risk factors associated with acute or chronic back pain.
Back pain can happen in people of any age group. However, most commonly, it affects people with the age of 30 above.
Lack of exercise
People who are not involved in healthy activities may have poor muscle health. These people are at high risk of back pain.
It is another common reason. People who carry excess weight especially around their abdominal region create more pressure and strain on back muscles.
Few diseases sometimes deadly, can also be a reason for back pain.
Excessive or incorrect lifting
People who inappropriately carry excessive weight are more exposed to back pain problems. Any weight lifting injury can also lead to chronic back pain ailment.
Mental health issues
Though unbelievable, it is a medical fact that people with anxiety or depression problems usually face more back pain issues than others.
Nutrients are an important part of our bodies. We also need adequate nutrients to let our back and discs grow properly. People who smoke make their bodies lacking in these important nutrients. It then results in back pain.
5 Regions of the Spine You Should Consider When Trying Out a New Mattress
To try out a new mattress, we should look for its proper support. We are going to highlight important regions in the table below that need your thorough consideration.
|Region||Cervical Spine||Thoracic Spice||Lumbar Spine||Sacrum||Coccyx (Tailbone)|
|Position||Neck||Upper back to the midsection||Lower back||Spine Base||Spinal Column’s base tip|
|Seven separate vertebrae||Twelve separate vertebrae||Five separate vertebrae||Bone with a triangular shape and 5 merged sections||Bone with a rounded shape and 3-5 merged vertebrae|
|Vertebrae Names||C1-C7||T1-T12||L1-L5||S1-S5||Coccygeal vertebrae|
|Purpose||It assists in the movement of the head||It provides proper balancing by making the spine stable. Also protects important organs.||Allows movement of the midsection along with supporting body weight||Helps in learning and pelvic movement||It is although linked with imperative muscles, ligaments, and tendons, the function is unknown|
The sleeper’s body weight plays a significant role on the overall feel of the mattress. Normally, people with less than 130 pounds body weight feel comfortable on a soft mattress that relieves pressure and contours their bodies.
On the other hand, those with more than 220 pounds feel better on the firm mattresses. The softer one would make them sink inside.
The sleeping position is another important factor that contributes to finalizing mattress’s feel. All three positions react differently to the mattress firmness.
Those who sleep on their sides with lightweight bodies can do well with the mattress of 3-4.5 firmness. However, for a back sleeper with the same weight, firmness of 4-5.5 level can give a comfortable feel. The lightweight stomach sleeper also needs fewer firmness ranges between 3 and 4.5.
Now, for average weight sleepers, if they are side-sleeper, they should go for 5-6.5 firmness. Back sleeper with the same weight should opt for the same 5-6.5 options. However, average weight stomach sleeper should get a soft mattress with the range 4-5.5.
The requirements for heavy sleepers are more firm. The side sleepers should get 6.5-8 level firmness. Back sleeper can do well with 6-8 firmness, and stomach sleepers need a bit softer that is between 6 and 7.5.
The spinal alignment in different sleeping positions is different. The firmness of the mattress also plays its role.
For side sleepers, as the spine is naturally aligned, the mattress you choose should maintain it. It is better to opt for some firmer option that prevents the sleeper from sinking.
For a back sleeper, it is important to get a mattress with medium firmness level to get a well-maintained spinal alignment.
For stomach sleeper, as there is no natural spinal alignment, one should go for the more firm option. It is because all weight is concentrated on the stomach. The soft mattress would make sleeper sink in and would distort the alignment.
|Tuft & Needle||Spine Alignment||Adaptive foam||2||Medium-firm||10 years|
|Dreamfoam Bedding||Rapid Response||Cooling Gel||3||Medium-firm||10 years|
|Casper||Back Support||Memory foam||4||Medium-firm||10 years|
|Leesa||Contouring||Memory foam||3||soft||10 years (limited)|
|Perfect Cloud||Sleeping Cool||Memory foam||3||Medium soft||10 years|
|Bear||Athletes||Memory foam with others||4||Firm||10 years|
|Layla||Flippable Firmness||Memory foam||NA||Medium soft on one side firm on the other||Lifetime|
|Nest Bedding||Relieving Pressure Points||EnergexTM breathable foam||NA||Medium-firm||Lifetime|
Find out more about The Best Pillow for Neck Pain in our complete review here.
1. Tuft & Needle Mattress – Best for Spine alignment
- 10 inches thickness
- Bed in a box
- Comes with a perfect firmness
- 100 nights trial
- 10 years warranty
- Comes with two layers
- Contains OEKO-tex certification
- Certi-PUR US certified
- Manufactured in the USA
The most eminent thing about Tuft & Needle mattress is their adaptive upper foam layer. It is designed uniquely to provide a great combination of comfort, support, and pressure-relieving attributes. It also eliminates the drawbacks of latex, memory foam, or the one with the egg-crate like structure. This feature is particularly helpful for those suffering from back pain problem.
This Tuft & Needle Mattress contains a unique adaptive layer that amalgamates the best features of latex and memory foam. It also keeps sleeper cool throughout the night making sure the restful night.
- Because of its cooling gel and graphite element, it keeps the sleeper dry.
- It responds quickly to the applied weight.
- It gives pressure-relieving benefits.
- It is manufactured using chemical-free and safe material.
- It is not suitable for those looking for a soft
- Its two layers give the very distinguishing feel.
Read our comparison of Leesa vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review.
2. Dreamfoam Mattress – Best for Rapid Response
- 10” thickness
- Three layers
- Medium comfort
- Remarkable bounce
- Contains cooling gel
- Comes in a compressed box
- USA product
- Offers 10 years warranty
- Certi-PUR US certified
The layer beneath the top quilting of this mattress is advanced visco-elastic layer known as Energex. Unlike conventional products, this Energex layer provides a speedy response to the applied pressure. It provides pressure relief and assists back pain victims to sleep comfortably.
This Dreamfoam Bedding Arctic dream is 10 inches thick foam with multiple features. It contains durable base foam. Also, its top layer gives a quick response to the applied pressure that results in a good bounce.
- This USA product comes with 10-years warranty.
- Its quick response to the applied weight keeps sleeper on its top
- It regulates temperature
- Its high-density polyurethane foam gives durability and firmness to the mattress.
- It doesn’t come with the cover. You need to buy it separately.
- It is not suitable for those looking for a very soft and comfortable sleeping-place.
3. Casper Sleep Mattress – Best for Back Support
- Constructed using four foam layers
- Combines the benefits of latex and memory foam
- Free shipping
- 100 nights trial with no risk
- Free returns
- Manufactured in the USA
- Delivers in a box
- 10 years warranty
This Casper Sleep Mattress contains four different layers to deliver what can make a person sleep comfortably. Its top layer that is made up of polyfoam that gives a super response and cooling effects. The back pain victim can get great relief by getting a quick response to its body weight.
This Casper Sleep Mattress is one of the best mattresses for people suffering from back pain or other aches. It contains four different layers that serve different purposes.
- With its transitional layer, it prevents abrupt changes in mattress feel.
- With its top layer, it adds a massive bounce effect to the mattress
- It allows proper airflow
- It is very soft and comfortable
- It is expensive
- Not suitable for those looking for firmer options.
You can learn more about materials and comfort levels of Casper Mattress in our in-depth overview here.
4. Leesa Mattress – Best for Contouring
- Comprises three layers
- It is a medium-firm memory foam
- Little motion isolation
- Super edge support
- Contours your body
- Retain heat
The memory foam by Leesa is quite cool because of the presence of Avena layer. It helps in maintaining the body temperature by retaining the heat. This mattress is of medium firmness which not only contours your body but also suits all kind of sleepers.
The Leesa mattress is famous for providing comfort level, durability, and affordability all at once. It renders universal adaptive feel also allow you to the liberty of movement.
- Most of you face the difficulty of waking up sweaty in the morning. This mattress removes that complain by allowing the air to pass through the mattress easily.
- Leesa makes sure to use premium quality materials which increase the life and durability of the mattress.
- You can avail this versatile memory mattress in 6 sizes which include twin, full, twin-xl, king, queen, and California king.
- The four stripe polyester cover of the Leesa contouring memory foam is removable so that you can clean it properly.
- It might not be a suitable choice for side sleepers for the reason it features only a single level of firmness.
Like the sound of Leesa mattress? Click here to read our full review.
5. Perfect Cloud – Best for Sleeping Cool
- Gel-infused foam
- High point motion isolation
- Bi-directional flow of air
- Certified by CertiPUR
- Factory treated foam
The mattress by Perfect cloud comes to you after the antimicrobial procedure from the factory. It in turns does not permit any micro-organisms, dust or mites to reside inside the mattress.
Perfect cloud is among the topmost mattress manufacturing companies which you can buy as it comforts various sleepers. It possesses hybrid features so that you have restless sleep.
- This version of the mattress by Perfect Cloud shows up with the gel-infused foam plus airflow
- If you have a lower back issue this mattress helps in aligning of the spine so that you can sleep well.
- This foam emits less volatile organic compounds in the surrounding to remove toxicity without giving off any smell.
- Unlike others, this brand guarantees you 10 years of warranty to its customers.
- You can easily wash the cover of this mattress in case of water spills.
- You might not be able to use this gel foam with the spring box.
- There is some chemical scent after unboxing the mattress.
6. Bear Mattress – Best for Athletes
- Celliant technology
- Four types of foams
- Goes well with a combination of sleepers
- Improvement in your blood flow
- No harmful chemicals
- Rapid response mattress
After doing thorough research the bear mattress comes with a Celliant technology that no other brand has introduced yet. In turn, this will convert heat energy into infrared spectrum and create a source of renewable energy.
So far Bear mattress is a new name in the market that aims to produce innovative memory foam, particularly for athletes. The addition of distinctive features helps you sleep better while enhancing your lifestyle.
- The Bear mattress is by far the most suitable pick for the side and back sleepers due to its firmness.
- It might not cost you a fortune for such outclass features instead it costs less than the competing mattress brands.
- This mattress will render 8 years of durability because of the high-quality
- The edge support in this mattress is absent so it might fall you off while you sit on the corners.
Learn more about Bear Mattress if you want to see the details before purchasing.
7. Layla Sleep – Best Flippable firmness
- Copper-infused memory mattress
- Flip to provide comfort
- The USA manufactured
- Soft polyester cover
- Swift transition
- Night trial of 120 days
The two firmness alternatives in one mattress which mean the Layla sleep foam can be firm yet soft. Above all, the flappable option will cater to different sleeping position without hurting your back.
Considering your bodyweight, spinal support and sleeping position this brand shows up with dual firmness mode. If you have arthritis or any other spinal problem then it must be your solution.
- This mattress from Layla will allow you to breathe easily while you sleep, unlike other brands that do not.
- To make you pain-free while relieving the pressure, it closely conforms to your body.
- The design of the Layla foam has a pattern of light purple color. It adds beauty to its look and catches the eye of the buyer.
- The brand renders 120 days trial period while offering a lifetime
- After unboxing the Layla expands it to its fullest size in minutes. It is to maximize the fun and minimize any sort of discomfort.
- The flipping feature of the Layla mattress might create a hassle when an individual rest on it.
- The pitfall of this memory mattress is the lack of edge support as it does not have a reinforced
Learn more about Layla and its overall pros and cons here.
8. Nest Love and Sleep – Best for relieving pressure points
- Visco foam layer
- Diverse level of firmness
- Less off-gassing smell
- Lightweight mattress
- Ample bounce and support
- Comes in Various Sizes
You need to prepare yourself for the peaceful nights because the fabric will make rolling on the bed easier. In this regard, it will not cease your movement so that you can awake without muscle ache.
As the firmness level differs from person to person because of the body types and sleeping postures. The good news is you can select your preferred firmness level as it proffers three firmness options for you.[/su_note]
In the list of the best mattress for the back pain, we have Nest love. We have chosen this sleep mattress because of its eco-friendly and luxurious outlook.
- The superior quality cotton fabric has used while manufacturing this mattress considering the environmental elements into account.
- For those of you who have allergic skin can use this mattress because of the organic products infused in it.
- The color of foam is quite strong and it doesn’t lose its realness even if you wash it several times.
- You will not face the difficulty of sinking in the bed because of the existence of memory foam in it.
- The fabric of the mattress isn’t alike silk which might be a turn off if you use silk mattress before
- Its sheets are not reliable as it sheds on a first wash yet cost you several bucks.
Want to learn more about the Nest Mattress? Read our complete review here.
After considering all of the above, it’s clear that back pain can be alleviated if the mattress has even and firm surface. For reducing the lower back pain, it is necessary to align the spine while maintaining the sleeping position. In this regard, the right type of mattress will give you other benefits rather maximizing the muscle soreness. It does not mean you can only get such features after paying a huge amount against it.
We try to come up with the most high-quality mattresses suitable for backache in the affordable range. Thus, it is time to level up your lifestyle without compromising your sleep.