Are you a hot sleeper and use to wake up in the middle of the night feeling sweaty and sticky? If you are among these people then don’t worry sleeping hot is a natural phenomenon that varies from person to person. However, the concerning part is that waking up again and again in the middle of the night can be troublesome and it can profoundly impact your sleep quality. The best solution for you is to sleep on a mattress that has excellent breathability and a tendency to disperse the heat from your body.
The overwhelming range of choices can make your life irksome, and for this reason, we have developed this article on top 10 best cooling mattresses for your helpful guidance. So let’s begin with a brief comparison table that includes the mattresses that we think, are the best at temperature neutralizing and later on, you will read the review of each of them.
Is sleeping hot a serious issue?
Some of you might think that sleeping hot is not an issue. However, deep sleep requires appropriate room temperature that ranges between 65°F and 72°F, and because the human body temperature is approximately 98.6°F, deep sleep cannot be achieved if you sleep on a hot mattress. Deep sleep is necessary for tissue repair, energy restoration, and increased supply of blood to muscles and release of growth hormones.
Some of you think that sleeping naked is the best alternative to solve the issues of the night sweating. According to a telephonic poll conducted by ABC News in 2004 in America, 22% of people sleep naked of which 31% were males, and 14% were females. But sleeping naked won’t solve this issue.
According to another survey conducted by AirWeave commissioned, 83% of the Americans prefer to sleep cold while the remainder prefers somewhat warmer environment to get some shut-eye. Therefore, many mattresses receive complaints of non-temperature regulatory traits.
Sleep-Cool Rating of Different Materials
|Mattress Material||Sleep-Cool Rating||Rating|
|Innerspring and coils||Excellent||9.5|
|All natural latex||Very Good||9.0|
|Gel-infused foam||Very Good||9.0|
|Open-cell memory foam||Fair||7.5|
|Regular memory foam||Poor||6.0|
What’s the best material in mattresses for sleeping cool?
There is a huge variety of mattresses available on the market. These mattresses are made of different types of materials including latex, innerspring and memory foam. Many mattress manufacturers have experimented and came up with different kinds of hybrids as well.
Hybrids are mattresses with a combination of memory foam and innerspring or latex. Some mattresses have all these three material types. The idea is to produce the best cooling mattress using a combination of different materials.
Coils and springs
If you need a bed that allows you to sleep cool, then it should be made of right materials. Innerspring and coils are the most popular choices that you can go for when looking for a mattress that sleeps cool. In most recent models, each of the coils is wrapped in individual fabric casing while other mattresses have interconnected coil system. Innersprings have a high tendency of heat dissipation because they offer a high degree of airflow throughout the sleeping surface.
Latex is expensive as compared to the innerspring but it also comes with a range of unique traits. It is far more superior to innersprings when it comes to durability. Furthermore, latex is not prone to conduct heat from your body which means that you can enjoy a sweat-free sleep all night long.
Moreover, latex mattresses come with tiny holes and various other aerations as well which makes them highly breathable. These small holes allow the passage of air through the mattress when you are on it. For this reason, it becomes a highly preferred option for most of the hot sleepers.
The primary function of the gel is to disperse heat from your body and dissipate it just like water does. Understandably, the gel is not as effective as water in dispersing heat because of the nature of the material.
The gel can conduct a vast amount of heat which is not possible to come out from a human body, therefore; it remains useful in temperature neutralization. Some additional technologies and extra materials are used to make it function in harmony. These supplementary materials include copper, graphite, bamboo and other gel materials that are thickly infused within it.
Open cell memory foam
Memory foams are considered to be the hottest mattresses that are available on the market. Memory foam is not made to neutralize temperatures and is more focused on providing support and back alignment. However, there is another variation of memory foam which has open-cell structure. This construction enables a constant airflow throughout the night. It doesn’t mean that open-cell memory foams should be the option you must consider when looking for a mattress that regulates temperature but it does get the job done.
These beds come with air chambers that are present in the support layer of a matter, and you can adjust the firmness level of your mattress as per your needs and requirements. The comfort layer of these airbeds is formed either of memory foam or polyfoam.
The thickness of this layer decides how much a mattress will stay cool. Three to four-inch-thick comfort layers do sleep hot as compared to the layers thinner than the mentioned size.
Does the cover of the mattress play any role in regulating the temperature?
Your mattress cover also plays a significant role in regulating temperature beside the materials that you have in the support core and comfort layer of your mattress. These covers can retain body heat and neutralize temperature during your sleep.
These covers are the thinnest that you can find on the market. You must know one rule, and that is air circulation is better with thinner covers. Therefore, it is safe to say that non-quilted covers sleep much more relaxed as compared to the various other choices.
The quilted covers are thicker as compared to their non-quilted counterparts. Due to the level of thickness, the quilted covers don’t offer much breathability or air circulation which means that you will sleep hot on them.
Cooling Fabrics: (Celliant®, Lyocell, Lycra® Spandex)
You will find numerous mattress brands advertising that their covers are made of different types of cooling fabrics. These include Celliant, Lyocell or Lycra Spandex. The Celliant is produced with the help of various thermo-reactive minerals that assist in air circulation and regulate the body temperature of the sleeper during the time of sleep.
The Celliant covers do tend to sleep cool, but there are customer complaints regarding resting hot on them as well. Lyocell is a kind of rayon that is produced from cellulose. Cellulose is extracted from the pulp of wood. Lyocell is lightweight and thin as compared to Celliant. Therefore, it provides a suitable cooling surface for those who sleep hot.
Lycra Spandex is frequently used in athletic apparel along with undergarments. Another benefit of this fabric is its moisture wicking properties which might come in very handy for the sweaty sleepers.
Buying guide – What to look for in a cooling mattress?
Various factors have a significant role to play in interrupting your sleep. According to medical experts, the ideal room temperature for sleeping ranges between 65°F and 72°F.
Human body temperature is about 98.6°F on the average which means that some of the heat will get into the layers of your mattress. It causes you to sweat and wake up in the middle of the night. Fortunately, there are a vast number of options available on the market to resolve this issue.
- If you are looking to buy memory foam, then make sure not to go for the conventional memory foam. The traditional memory foam designs are useless when it comes to heat dissipation. You can opt for open-cell memory foam that provides you with a better chance to sleep cool at night as compared to the traditional memory foam.
- Gel foam is highly capable of dissipating heat from your body so it could also be the right option for you.
- You can opt for a mattress that has covered with copper infusion. Copper is an excellent element when it comes to heat conductivity, and it is used in different products to dissipate heat effectively.
- You can also opt for buying a separate cooling technology or a cooling mattress pad to lower the temperature of your sleeping surface during your sleep.
- All natural latex can be a good option, and it is highly breathable.
- Innersprings are the best options when it comes to sleeping cool, but they are inferior when it comes to motion transferability.
Are Micro-Coils any good for cooling effect?
Micro-Coils were developed to provide the users with increased comfort. The standard height of a Micro-Coil is four inches while you can also find one inch and two and half inch heights as well. These small springs provide your mattress with a smoother finish and a softer feel. It also allows the air to flow freely and also enable the heat to escape so that you can sleep cool and achieve your deep sleep.
How firmness of a mattress impacts the temperature of the mattress?
The firmness of your mattress plays a significant role in influencing the temperature of your mattress. The reason behind that is when you sleep on a soft surface, your body tends to sink into it, and the airflow around your body gets restricted. It means your soft surface is prone to trap heat. On the other hand, a firm surface enables you to sleep on the top of your mattress instead of sinking. The firm surface doesn’t envelope around your body and doesn’t restrict the airflow. Therefore, a firm surface is not prone to heat trapping.
Compare & Review -Best Cooling Mattresses
|Mattress||Best For||Trial Duration||Outstanding Feature||Warranty||Material type|
|GhostBed Mattress Luxe||High breathability||101-nights||Instant Cool feel||25 years||Gel foam|
|Layla Mattress||Memory foam lovers||120-nights||Copper infusion||Lifetime||Memory foam|
|Purple Mattress||Pressure point relieve||100-nights||Cooling Airflow||10 years||Polyfoam|
|Zenhaven Mattress||Latex lovers||120-days||Luxurious sleep||20-year||Natural Latex|
|The Sapira Mattress||Affordable luxury||100-nights||Edge to Edge Support||10 years||Foam|
|Aurora by Brooklyn Bedding||Temperature neutralization||120-nights||Pressure relief||10-year||Hybrid|
|Signature 12 by Nolah||Eco-Friendly||120-nights||Adjustable base||15-year||Foam|
|Molecule Mattress||Optimal recovery||100-nights||Variable pressure foam||Lifetime||Open cell memory foam|
|The Wave Mattress by Casper||Most versatile||100 nights||Ergonomic Support||10-year||Memory foam|
|The WinkBed Mattress||Heavyweight people||101-nights||Heat Dispense technology||10-year||Hybrid|
1. GhostBed Mattress Luxe – Best for high breathability
- 7-layered cooling technology
- Instant cooling
- 25 Years warranty
- 360-degree comfort
- 101-night trial
The 13-inch GhostBed Mattress Luxe is prepared with 7-layers of cooling technology. The layers are a unique combination of Ghost Ice fabric, Gel memory foam, Ghost Ice layer, Ghost Bounce layer, and support core.
This mattress provides you with high breathability, and you can soundly enjoy your sleep with 360-degree comfort. Its gel memory foam and Ghost Ice technology fabric keeps you cool at night and gently provide support to your shoulder, hips, spine, and neck.
- Ghost Ice Luxe has high breathability rating
- It is equipped with seven different layers of cooling technology that keeps the bed very relaxing throughout the night.
- The GhostBed mattress fits with every type of bed frame
- This long-lasting, durable mattress gives you ultimate comfortable sleep for a long time due to its high durability
- The cooling technology of this mattress doesn’t remain active after a certain period
- It is a firm mattress and not recommendable to side sleeper
2. Layla Mattress – Best for memory foam lovers
- 4-layered mattress
- Sleep cooler and comfortable
- Top quality heat retention
- Cooper infused with memory foam
- 120-nights trial
- Lifetime warranty
- Easy to setup
The Layla mattress is equipped with 4-layered technology that includes two layers of copper-infused memory foam, convoluted support foam and base support foam You can use this mattress on both sides.
The copper material of Layla mattress gives you a clean, supportive, and more relaxed sleep throughout the night. The cells of copper suck the body heat and disperse it elsewhere, and they also provide proper alignment to your shoulder and hips.
- This mattress is equipped with probably the best memory foam on the market
- It is prepared with copper that is more supportive, cooler, and clean
- Its Thermo-gel gives you a cooling sensation
- Layla mattress is more durable and reliable
- The firmness level isn’t suitable for the back sleepers
- It doesn’t provide an edge-to-edge support system
3. Purple Mattress – Best for pressure points relieve
- Pressure relieving
- Sleep cool
- Motion Isolating
- More durable
- 10-Year warranty
- Hypoallergenic & non-toxic material
- 100-nights trial
The Purple mattress offers pressure relieving feature that means it dynamically relieves pressure from various body parts and provides an ultimate comfortable sleep.
If you are going to share your mattress with your partner and one of you moves a lot at night or during sleep, then motion isolation feature of this mattress will come in very handy. The mattress is rated very highly because of its motion isolation feature among the users.
- This mattress is more durable as compared to other brands of the same price
- The cooling airflow technology prevents you from sweating during your sleep.
- You can share this mattress with someone because it minimizes the motion transfer
- The mattress is one of the better options for pressure relief points as well.
- This mattress is not suitable for all type of sleeper especially for back sleepers
4. Zenhaven Mattress – Best for latex lovers
- 2-in-1 Comfort technology
- Luxuriously supportive
- 5-zone latex comfort layer
- 100% pure innovation and comfort
- 20-year warranty
- 120-night trial duration
The Zenhaven mattress includes natural latex that is best to sleep cool and comfortable. It is equipped with advance 2-in-1 comfort technology. You can enjoy two different comfort levels (luxury plush and gentle firm as per your requirement) in one Zenhaven cooling mattress.
The Zenhaven mattress has a 5-Zone comfort latex layer that provides you more solid support option for your relaxing sleep. This comfort layer also gives you a surface that doesn’t heat up while you are on it. You can enjoy a sound rest without feeling hot.
- Its latex improves breathability and is an eco-friendly
- The support system of this mattress keeps you back, shoulders and neck properly aligned.
- It has exceptional durability
- This mattress is equipped with five different organic layers and is not made of any toxic substances and also resists dust and mites.
- It is one of the most massive mattresses on the market.
5. The Sapira Mattress – Best Affordable luxury
- A hybrid mattress
- Edge-to-edge support system
- 100-night sleep trial
- Motion isolation
- Durable springs
The Sapira is a hybrid mattress that not only keeps you cool during your sleep but also keeps your body well aligned whether you are sleeping on your back or your side. The hybrid mattress combines comfort and recovery layer with the pocket spring system so that the support systems work uninterruptedly.
The springs used in this mattress are highly durable, and each of them is encased in its pocket individually. These coils are perfectly blended between the layers for an excellent fusion with the high-performance foam. These perfect placements of the coils equip the mattress with traction and support.
- It is a combination of premium foam and spring coils
- The pressure relieving memory foam exceptionally contour your body
- You can enjoy sleep soundly due to motion isolation feature is you share your bed with someone.
- The mattress is equipped with high-quality coils that last for a long time.
- There no cooling technology is used in its preparation, and most of the cooling only comes from the innerspring surface.
6. Aurora by Brooklyn Bedding – Best overall temperature neutralization
- Superior edge support
- Pressure relieving
- 10-year warranty
- Temperature regulation
- 120-night trial
The Aurora mattress by Brooklyn Bedding comes with a cover made of fabric that is a combination of Polyester and Rayon. This cover keeps the mattress cool and boosts its temperature regulation ability. It ultimately helps to regulate the temperature of the bed while you are sleeping on it.
Due to the hybrid construction of this mattress, you will get top quality edge-to-edge support even if you are lying on the corner of your bed. It means that no matter where you sit or lay down, the mattress will continue to keep your body and back in an adequate position.
- The mattress is available in three firmnesses
- This mattress is suitable for all type of sleepers
- There is a pressure control option also available if you want to take control of the edge-to-edge support of your mattress.
- In addition to temperature regulation, it also works well to take care of the pressure relief points.
- The medium level firmness of this mattress is not comfortable for side sleepers
- Some of you might find the top layer to be too soft.
7. Signature 12 by Nolah – Best Eco-Friendly Mattress
- Two-sided firmness
- 120-night trial duration
- Adjustable base
- Lifetime warranty
- Pressure point relief
- Designed for bulky people
The Nolah Signature mattress not only keeps you cool at night but is also eco-friendly. It is equipped with an extra deep Air-Foam that controls the pressure on the shoulders and hips. The two-sided firmness is best for all type of sleepers too.
This mattress comes with an adjustable base option where you can adjust its core according to your requirements. You can incline the support from the head and feet with the zero gravity position and freely enjoy reading books or watching television.
- Designed for bulky people
- It is among the most durable mattresses that you will find on the market
- The adjustable base of the Signature 12 mattress makes it highly popular
- A comfortable mattress for all types of sleepers
- It features different firmness level on each side
- It is not designed for lightweight people because they will find it very firm.
8. Molecule Mattress – Best for Optimal sleep recovery
- Risk-free 100-night trial
- Variable Pressure Foaming
- Lifetime warranty
The Molecule mattress is Air-Engineered with multiple components, and each element works scientifically to maximize the support, comfort, and heat absorption to ensure your deep sleep comfort.
It is made of hypoallergenic materials and doesn’t include any harmful chemicals or hazardous substances in the production process. The mattress and its cover both are resistant to dust and mites.
- It comes with seven times more airflow as compared to memory foam
- This mattress is made with Variable Pressure Foaming (VPF), and it handles various pressure points of your body well
- The fabric of the Molecule mattress is virtually free from emissions
- The mattress is extremely durable
- It offers you incredible support to your joints, bumps, shoulder, and neck
- It is one of the expensive options among the cooling mattresses
9. The Wave Mattress – Most Versatile
- Hyper-targeted support
- Ergonomic support
- Risk-free 100-night trial
- Temperature regulation
- 10-year warranty
- 5-layers of foam
Casper Wave consists of a unique combination of 5-layers of premium foams that give you luxurious comfort. You can enjoy the hyper-targeted support that helps you to relieve pressure from your body for healthy spinal alignment.
The Wave mattress is equipped with temperature regulation features that use heat-wicking and open-cell foam. The elements deflect excess heat away from your body and keep you cool, calm, and sweat-free throughout the night.
- This mattress is ergonomically designed to provide excellent support to your body.
- The top layer of this mattress is velvety soft that enhanced sensitivity and responsiveness.
- It features an improved temperature regulation feature due to the open-cell
- It is best suited for side sleepers.
- It is not the best choice for people who are suffering from back pain
10. The WinkBeds Mattress – Best for Heavyweight people
- Heat disperse technology
- 101-night trial
- Back-Relief System
- Firmness option
- Lifetime warranty
The WinkBeds mattress is the best cooling mattress that is designed with innovation. It has numerous features including 3-step back relief system, extra-edge support, lifetime durability system, heat-disperse technology and motion isolation.
The WinkBeds is the most popular luxury hybrid model, which comes with triple layer heat-disperse technology. This unique technology uses heat-wicking materials that help to achieve comfortable and better sleep by absorbing the heat and moisture away from the mattress and provide you with a cool platform to lie on during the night.
- It is among the most durable mattresses
- This mattress is best for bulky people
- It provides extraordinary support to your middle lumbar area
- The WinkBeds comprises with extra-edge and anti-sag support system
- With the help of the triple layer of heat disperse technology you sleep cool without sweating
- You can customize the firmness level as per your needs
- Some of you might find it a bit too firm.
Deep sleep is essential for a better lifestyle and health, and you can only achieve it when you sleep in controlled room temperature. A mattress plays a crucial role in whether or not you will sleep hot at night. Therefore, you must look for the options that enable you to enjoy a cooling surface and doesn’t make you wake up sticky and sweaty in the middle of the night.
We have reviewed the top 10 best cooling mattresses but if you’re still confused as which one to buy then go with our Editor’s pick i.e. GhostBed Luxe Mattress to have an instant cool feel.
In case of any suggestion, advice or query, you can reach out to us by posting your comment in the section given below.
Happy sleep shopping!